Friday, June 1, 2007

Icecream Base

  • 1 cup full cream milk
  • 1 cup cream
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 whole eggs
  1. Whisk together eggs and sugar until well-combined and fluffy.
  2. Heat the milk until not-quite boiling, then stir into the egg and sugar.
  3. Stir the mixture over low heat until it thickens slightly (or coats the back of a spoon), custard style. I do this in a Pyrex bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.
  4. Refrigerate until cold, then stir in the cream.
  5. Place the mixture in your icecream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Depending on what you're adding to the mixture, add less milk and cream.

I like this recipe because it doesn't involve large amounts of egg. In my icecream maker, the end product is quite soft.

I often make this with whole 300mL cartons of milk and cream. The custard takes a little longer to thicken, but otherwise I haven't encountered any problems with it.

This recipe was inspired by the proportions at Think Quest, however I like to cook my eggs a little more than that recipe.

2 comments:

Vel'ithya said...

Do you whip the cream first, or just pour it in unwhipped? And is it 'normal' cream, or thickened cream? :P

Liz said...

I used to whip it, but it seems to set harder if you don't (but still not all that hard).

And I just use 'normal' or 'whipping' cream. Apparently the thickener they use can damage some icecream makers.